- Ensuring everything we do is based on a secure educational philosophy and integrity of purpose.
- Providing value for money services within a not-for-profit context.
- Developing appropriate professional partnerships with schools and other agencies, to the benefit of young people, their families, and their community.
- Enabling all employees to make a positive contribution towards the success of the charity.
Relationship with Schools
- Communication – Music Service staff will make every effort to communicate effectively and respectfully with head teachers, school staff and pupils.
- Flexibility – Music Service staff will make every effort to be flexible and adaptable in responding to the needs of schools.
- Performances – Music Service staff will organise regular musical performances in schools as an essential aspect of their work, where possible combining with different instrumental departments and/or different schools.
There is a structure of “Professional Support Visits” where staff visit one another in schools for the sharing of good practice, and our four Leading Practitioners have a special responsibility for providing support throughout the Service.
Partnership with Birmingham City University
- Faculty of Education
- The Music Service provides training and school teaching placements for students taking the Secondary Music Postgraduate Certificate in Education Course. Music Education staff from the Faculty of Education work closely with Music Service staff in the development of pedagogy.
- Birmingham Conservatoire
- The Music Service provides training and teaching observation for students taking the BMus (Honours) course. The Music Service has worked in partnership with the Conservatoire in developing and delivering the new MMus Performance and Pedagogy course.
- Click here to see the list of Pedagogy Department Partners.